Monday, July 17, 2006

Anti-PC police have won

Jay Lassiter on Lassiter Space remarks that African-American seems like a silly moniker.

I suggested that "African American" is an expression used by white people to make themselves feel/look more culturally sensitive. Further, I hardly ever hear blacks refer to themselves as "African American." Frankly, blacks never really embraced the expression.

I find this stance common among liberals and baffling. The history of the term is one of empowerment, yet people see it as cultural imperialism. The only explanantion I have is that the right has convinced enough people that there actually was a PC movement on the left and that we are all latte-liberals.

Maybe I'm just succumbing to the etymological fallacy.

No comments:

Site meter

Search This Blog