Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I started an email joke chain

I don’t know, maybe I’m overreacting. But I’ve been arguing with my dad about ethnic jokes. It all started when he forwarded this joke to a bunch of people, including me.

Subject: Job in India !!!

I have DEFINATELY spoken with Mujibar---LOL Anne

Mujibar was trying to get a job in India. The Personnel Manager said, "Mujibar, you have passed all the tests, except one. Unless you pass it you cannot qualify for this job."
Mujibar said, "I am ready." The manager said, "Make a sentence using the words Yellow, Pink and Green."
Mujibar thought for a few minutes and said, "Mister manager, I am Ready."
The manager said, "Go ahead."
Mujibar said, "The telephone goes green, green, green, and I pink it up, and say, 'Yellow, this is Mujibar.'"
Mujibar now works as a technician at a call center for computer problems. No doubt you have spoken to him.

I told him, “Please do not send me this racist crap.” He apparently took offense to this. His defense is that ethnic humor is harmless, that it is part of being human and no one should be offended. But it’s not the joke itself that I am annoyed by. (Although, really it’s not funny. They could have done better.) It’s the politics behind this joke that pissed me off. Insulting Indians because American companies have decided to move services there is dumb.

I of course couldn’t let it be so I sent this to the same group that got the first email.

RE: Funny Jokes!!!

Really, these are funny because they are SOOOOOOO true! The Irish really are dumb. Although I can't tell if it's because they are genetically inferior or all that booze they drink. And don't get me started on the Italians! HAHAHA LOL!

----- Original Message -----
Date: Friday, March 17, 2006 2:22 pm
Subject: Re: Funny Jokes!!!

Young Patrick is walking down Dublin's main street. Suddenly a man leaps out at him and punches him in the face.
"There you are, Mick, that'll teach you!", The man shouts.
But to his attacker's surprise, Patrick just laughs. "So Mick, you're laughing; I'll hit you again!"
"Ha ha ha!", laughs Patrick, "the joke's on you. I'm not Mick!"

Two men from Dublin were walking to the annual Dublin Fair when it started raining.
"Patrick, put your umbrella up, it's raining".
"I can't, Mick, it's got holes in it".
"Holes in it? Then why did you bring it with you?"
"I didn't think it would rain."

Q: Why is Italy shaped like a boot?
A: Because you couldn't get that much shit into a shoe.

Q: Why do Italians wear hats?
A: To know which end to wipe.

I got the jokes from this website, whose goal is to preserve Australia’s ethnic humor. You would think there would be some scholarly repository of ethnic jokes on the web. I looked on Google for “ethnic jokes” and didn’t find one. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough.
Anyway, if you get this in an email chain, let me declare publicly that this is satire. I don’t actually hate the Irish or Italians.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sooo ... what kind of comments did you get on the jokes???

Ed Keer said...

None! Except my dad pointed out that I am Irish.

Site meter

Search This Blog