Friday, February 03, 2006

Barkley 08?

Last night I was thinking that maybe Lakoff is wrong. Maybe the ‘nurturing parent’ model is just a loser. Maybe what Democrats need to do is to run a ‘strict father’ candidate, albeit one who has a progressive viewpoint. I thought, “when was the last time I saw a Democrat who fit the ‘strict father’ model?” I imagine LBJ may have been one. I really don’t know much about him, but he seemed like a tough guy. But in recent memory all of the Democratic presidential candidates had serious wimp problems. I mean, John Kerry couldn’t kick MY ass. Maybe what we need is a football player or something.

This morning I turned on CNN and there was Charles Barkley shilling the paperback version of his book and talking about poverty in America. Yeah, he was spouting the libertarian, “the government isn’t going to help you, you have to help yourself” line. I’ll take that if it means at least talking about poverty. This is the type of guy I was thinking about. I wonder if he’s a Democrat?

No comments:

Site meter

Search This Blog