Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Self-righteous putz

A week or so ago, my brother sent a message to our family mailing list about Kayne West’s comment that Bush doesn’t care about black people. I must have been in some kinda mood, since I shot back “And you do?”

I was pointing out the self-righteous indignation of my brother, who as far as I know isn’t a particularly race-conscious guy. I figured Bush has done a lot of shitty things, but a white guy calling him a racist is a little stupid. At least that is what I thought.

I was on the “ye without sin cast the first stone” trip. But thinking about it, pointing out that someone is being self-righteous is self-righteous. I guess you gotta be Jesus to get away with bullshit like that. I think I’ll call that the sermon on the mount paradox.*

Anyway, the next day when I called my brother to get some help re-wiring a ceiling fan he helped me out. No questions asked. He’s just that good.

All this reminds me of my wife’s favorite Jesus joke: Jesus is doing his sermon on the mount and he says “Ye without sin cast the first stone…” Just then a stone comes flying out of the crowd and hits the prostitute on the head. Jesus looks around and says, “Aw ma, quit ruining my act!”

*I’m not a Christian, so I have no idea when Jesus made this proclamation. I assume it was during the sermon on the mount.

1 comment:

boredoom said...

The tale of Jesus challenging people to cast the first stone is one of the most well-known bible stories. But it's missing from most old bible manuscripts, and many scholars consider it a late addition or interpolation from another source or tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pericope_Adulter%C3%A6

Site meter

Search This Blog